Surah Al Nas
Surah Number: 114
Revelation Period: Madani
Number of Verses: 6
Al Nas – Mankind
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.
1. Say: I seek refuge in the Lord of mankind,
2. The King of mankind,
3. The God of mankind,
4. From the evil of the sneaking whisperer,
5. Who whispereth in the hearts of mankind,
6. Of the jinn and of mankind.
· The essence of this Surah is seeking refuge in Allah (SWT) from all forms of evils, but in particular the whisper of the devil and the evil influences of other human beings.
· Allah (SWT) begins this Surah with three powerful attributes that belong to Him, namely: Lord (Rabb), King (Malik) and God (Ilah). This is to show the power and magnificence of Allah (SWT) and that it is only He that can protect from all things.
· Each attribute signifies a different type of protection. Rabb (Lord) is an attribute which signifies nurturing and looking after, like a mother does to a child, and in this way Allah (SWT) looks after all His creation.
· Malik (King) signifies power and authority and this is like the king who would maintain order and protect his subjects from external threats. Allah maintains his order through the Shariah and protect his servants through His Divine Wisdom and Power from the unseen.
· Ilah (God) signifies the one that is worshipped and this is different to the other two attributes above as both the above can be applied to human beings whereas this particular attribute is Allah’s alone. He is the one worthy of all worship and as such He is also the one we should seek help from.
· Allah is the only one that can have all the above three attributes simultaneously. Human being may have one attribute or the other, but they can not possess all three attributes simultaneously, only Allah is capable of this.
· Waswasah – Inaudible whispers of the Devil and the evil inclinations of the Nafs.
· Khannas – The one who withdraws, this refers to the Devil withdrawing as soon as the words of Allah is mentioned or He is remembered by the believers.
· From the Jinn – This refers to the whispers of the Devil.
· From Man – This refers to the evil inclinations of the Nafs.
· The way to protect oneself from such Waswasah is through the remembrance of Allah (SWT).